Friday 10 August 2018

travelling around venice by wheelchair

Last week we returned to Venice for the first time in 11 years. How would we manage with a wheelchair?

In my more downbeat moments, I'd been quietly (and not so quietly) referring to this holiday as my last chance to see Venice. Regular visitors will know my mobility has been steadily declining, even before the two relapses I had last year (from which I'm still recovering).

And even though it's been a while, I can remember enough about Venice to know that it's not the most accessible of cities.

But because we didn't get to go away as a family last year, we booked this holiday, with my parents coming along as backup. Anyway, we wanted to show Little Miss D where we got married.

We were staying at a nearby resort called Lido di Jesolo. Mrs D and I had been a few years back and thought that it would be a perfect place to visit with a family. It's super flat, miles and miles of beaches, hotels, bars, restaurants and amusement arcades. It also seems like it's the sort of place where Italians go on holiday, which is always pretty cool.

The flatness of the resort was a pretty big seller for us because - like Philadelphia a few months back - we were traveling with the wheelchair again. And a nightly passeggiata has always been a favourite part of any Italian holidays we've had.

I'll talk about the journey in another post because there are just some weird things which seem to happen whenever you travel with a wheelchair. Completely frustrating and totally avoidable things to my mind, but here we are.

But for one day we went over to Venice. We booked on an organised trip for a little for peace of mind - had mobility not been an issue we could've "roughed it" and organised a much cheaper way. But as I've noted before, being disabled is EXPENSIVE.

One benefit was that we'd be on organised buses from our hotel with private boats over to Venice, with some assistance at either end. One of the guys who helped me on and off the boat was so attentive that I complimented him for his beautiful dancing.

First up. Here's the big news...

[drum roll...]

Venice has got ramps! 


That's right, Venice has got [admittedly, not many] RAMPS on some key bridges. 

These are on the four biggest bridges which lead from the main drop-off port, taking you past the Hotel Danieli and the Doge's Palace and into Piazza San Marco.

Without them we would not have got much further at all.

After that, we used a combination of Google Maps, a free Ulmon Venice Travel Guide app and our own failing memories to navigate a mostly bridgeless route through the back streets.

Firstly Venice is a typical busy European city. And despite the claims of the people with whom we booked our day-to-night tour, not everyone leaves at 5 o'clock (although it does get noticeably quieter). If you're ok with that you'll be fine.

Especially if you know to walk on the right hand side of the paths.
The map / app combo helped us get about really easily. I can't remember there being too many bridges which I needed to cross on foot (with my two sticks). And most were 5-6 step bridges - easy to do if you can slump back into your chair afterwards.

One thing we wanted to do was see Palazzo Cavalli where we were married almost 12 years ago. By this point we were all exhausted (the temperature was in the mid 30s the day we visited). But looking at the maps, there was no way to get there without crossing a bridge.

I was defeated. Mrs D, my Mum and daughter pootled off to see it while me, my Dad and chair stayed on the other side. I felt so downhearted.

But then I got mad.

If this was my last visit to Venice, I was damn well going to see where I got married.

I got out of the chair, dragged myself up and over the bridge (my dad followed with chair) and made it to the doors for an emotional photo opportunity with my girls.
you have reached your destination
So Venice. It's still beautiful, bonkers and back-breaking (thanks, Dad). The paths are pretty good so my chair managed well. And if you're bloody-minded enough, you'll get where you need to, regardless of MS.

We're lucky that we've pretty much done Venice over the years. There was nothing in particular that we needed to see, we just wanted to have a mooch around and take it all in once more.

It can be done.

Will we do it again? That remains to be seen. But if not, at least I had the opportunity to say goodbye to it.
beware the locals (1)

beware the locals (2)

No comments:

Post a Comment