Sunday 30 December 2018

meat is… murder?

Even before my dalliance with the OMS lifestyle I've been a circumstantial pescatarian for a while.

[Circumstantial Pescetarian - great early EPs but that first John Peel session was an absolute cracker #oldManJokes]

Back in the day of my initial diagnosis the watchword was varied diet with as much fish as you could stomach.

Mrs D has been vegetarian for more than half of her life so our diet is naturally veg-heavy - although Little Ms D loves chowing down on all of her farmyard friends.

After falling out of love with the OMS Pesco Vegan diet last year I decided not to start eating meat again - not from any great moral standpoint, just for convenience sake. Even for someone obsessed with (that band AGAIN!) The Smiths at a formative age, I've never really thought about the food I eat at a particularly deep level. As long as it tastes good I'm in.

alright, alright, we get it - you really REALLY used to love The Smiths

Having said all that, the food section is one of my favourite parts to read in our paper. Recently there was an article about preparing the perfect Christmas ham. My mum prepares one every year and I looked at the picture in the article for so long I could practically taste it.

I posited the idea of eating some this year and was all set. But when the time came - much like the Philly Cheesesteak I didn't have in Philadelphia - I just couldn't face it.

I think my meat-free diet has been going on so long that the idea just seemed bizarre.

I know how hypocritical that is when you consider the horror-show practices of the dairy industry. And that's even aside from the fact that I'm perfectly comfortable with eating living things as long as they do their living underwater.

But I don't think I can do any kind of vegan diet again. It was hard on everyone around me and super-expensive. Which is pretty depressing - it's cheaper to eat the flesh of an animal bred and kept for the purpose of being eaten than something which grows out off the ground.

Plus when I talked to Mrs D about this blog she said - in no uncertain terms - that there was no way I could even consider trying to be vegan ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment