Monday 18 June 2018

no more drama

Last week was pretty trying.

To start, an appointment with my Neurologist, my first since my relapses last year.

I like him but I can’t help thinking he seems quite keen to rediagnose me as Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. Yes, I know this is how it goes for the vast majority of cases - is it still 80%? But this figure always makes me think of the following panel from Daniel Clowes' Art School Confidential story:

Clowes D, p.19 Eightball #7, Fantagraphic Books Inc, November 1991
We all think that we're in the 20% because anything else is too scary.

And I don't mean to offend anyone reading this who is already SPMS (or even PPMS). Neither am I so dim to not be aware that MS is progressive in nature in all of its flavours.

But having it in the name of your condition for the first time is going to be hard to take. So forgive me if I want to stall it for as long as possible.

Anyway, the stress of this appointment meant that neither myself or Mrs D slept at all well the night before.

To cut a long story short he was actually really pleased with how I'm getting on. As I think I mentioned before my first test for the JC virus was negative but I am now slightly positive.

Interestingly, although the JC titre [a new word for me too!] can go up and down, because I've gone from negative to positive I will always be counted as positive from now on.

But on the whole it was all good.

After that I had my birthday and a fairly dramatic infusion.

One other person on the ward had to be revived - I've not seen so many panicky medical professionals go behind the curtain around a hospital bed since Little Ms D’s birth.

A nurse - who looked really shaken up - asked if we wanted to be moved to another ward. But as I was nearly finished we decided not to bother.

The person eventually came round and was ok, by the way. At least that's what the nurses said anyway.

However it was still pretty unnerving to see her named on the ward list as a fellow Tysabri patient.

What is this crap I’m having pumped into my veins every four weeks?

Ne’ermind. See you next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment