Thursday 24 March 2022

philly state of mind

One this day four years ago, myself and the divine Mrs D arrived in Philadelphia to attend the HU Connexion 2018 Event. That whole weekend (we flew to the USA for a WEEKEND) seems like it's from another planet. 

  1. We boarded an aeroplane
  2. We went to another country
  3. We stayed in a hotel
  4. I spent a day and a half, in a room that was filled with over 100 people from all over the world
  5. Not only were these people all clinically extremely vulnerable, but nobody wore a mask

Madness!

I know I've spoken about this on more than one occasion the past. In fact, I spoke a little about it on a podcast that I was on recently

But talking about it on that episode, it hit me again how very important that short trip was.

We were in a pretty rough place at that time. It was just over a year since I'd lost my job. Since then I'd done a bit of short-term freelance work. And then promptly had the most physically and mentally debilitating relapse of my life. 

At the same point in 2017, I was going through the first of my two attempts to get PIP. I think by early 2018 I'd been turned down for the second time, so we were heading down the tribunal route. 

As well as all this,  I was getting no closer to finding meaningful work. And the month before the conference, Mrs D's employers decided that her job was actually a temporary contract. So that was that. 

The idea of going to Philadelphia had been rumbling under the surface since the start of the year - initially I was thinking about going with my Dad. 

But when we found about Mrs D's job, with everything else that was going on, we just thought sod it. Her last day at work was the Friday, and we flew out early Saturday morning.

And the whole trip gave us a massive boost. We could actually travel on our own, with a wheelchair.

Admittedly we didn't go that far while we were in Philadelphia but still. Baby steps.

Later that year we retuned to Italy (with my wheelchair) for a great holiday. I got my PIP settlement. And I got another temporary marketing contract, which helped to keep the wolf from the door.

Obviously - and perhaps most importantly - I met Kathy from FUMS and Patients Getting Paid in Philadelphia, and through her I now have a job that I love and am actually good at, which I can do from home. 

So yes. It was an important break for us. And because of that, Philly will always have a apecial place in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment