Saturday 20 November 2010

too much information

*with apologies to any family members stumbling on this!*

Long-time visitors to this irregular blog might remember that one of the reasons I was concerned about starting Rebif was the fact that Emma and me are of an age where we start to think about having kids.

Most of the research looking into the effects of DMDs is focused around the possible effects they might have on pregnant women - it makes sense, especially when you take into account the fact that statistically there are more women than men with MS.

So when we spoke to the MS nurses and neuros, we got some fairly confusing advice before one of them stuck his neck out and said there were unlikely to be any problems.

The long and the short of it is that we're pleased to announce that we're having our first child in April. We had our 20 week scan yesterday and everything is going fine so far.

The TooMuchInformation aspect of this whole business was the fact that... well, how can I put this?

Being male you only have one real job in the whole getting pregnant-thing, only one thing you really need to bring to the party, shall we say.

Now, I never had any trouble GETTING TO THE PARTY. The problem was lack of sensitivity meaning that I could never FINISH.

*sorry for the ridiculous language I'm using*

I know that most people with MS suffer with this sort of thing - when I was first diagnosed it was because I had numbness and tingling from my gut down, so it shouldn't have been that surprising.

I guess the point of all this over-sharing is that it happens to us all; and that, if you're in a supportive relationship with someone patient, you will hopefully be fine.

Now all we need to do is get some rest while we can.

And some of you will have already done the maths and worked out that we were pregnant when we went to Alton Towers in the summer. I wonder why Emma felt so sick after going on all those rides...!BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

2 comments: