Wednesday 22 February 2017

music of my mind

This is a post which I've been planning for ages. So long, in fact, that I've already (sort of) shared it IRL with one of the few commenters on the site (hi there, Swisslet).

Anyway, the main reasons that I use my phone are to take photos and listen to music. At one point during the work shit last year I made a note of some of the albums on my phone that happened to fit my situation. Some were my own, others were copied from friends - notably the blues titles that fitted a little too well.

These were all genuinely on my phone at the same point (mid September) and soundtracked many long days and nights when I was trying to salvage my career. 

Admittedly I've monkeyed around with the order a little to make it read in a more pleasing way and this is not a complete list of my phone's contents. But even so it's hard to escape the feeling that the universe was trying to tell me something at the time. And as an old friend used to tell me in a similarly momentous crunch point in my life, there are no coincidences:
In another spooky-ish coincidence, I came upon this article on The Guardian website. A lot of this chimes very much with my experience at work - especially the comments from people who said that they felt they had to work harder and longer than others to prove themselves.

The article contains a link to a Government consultation on work, health and disability but it closed last week - I hadn’t heard anything about this consultation, had anyone else?

Back in the (even more real) real world, as hinted previously I’ve stopped my claim for Job Seekers Allowance and started a claim for Employment Support Allowance. I’ve also got a short contract for some freelance consultation work, which is good.

Less good? Another dispiriting job interview experience (where I knew half the panel) which led to another rejection and - as yet, over a week later - no feedback. Guh.

2 comments:

  1. Howdy. As per this conversation, I've been digging in the archives for the playlist for the 75m(!) MRI scan that I had in August 2005. Read it and weep.... and think about my state of mind putting this together.

    1. Don't Panic - Coldplay
    2. Hope There's Someone - Antony & the Johnsons
    3. Blood - Editors
    4. Painkiller - Turin Breaks
    5. I Have Forgiven Jesus - Morrissey
    6. Dosed - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    7. If You Go Away - Dusty Springfield
    8. Goodbye My Lover - James Blunt
    9. Fire - Jimi Hendrix
    10. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
    11. White Shadows - Coldplay
    12. Piazza, New York Catcher - Belle & Sebastian
    13. Rockin' the Suburbs - Ben Folds
    14. Let Me Kiss You - Nancy Sinatra
    15. Rock & Roll Suicide - Seu Jorge
    16. Going Missing - Maximo Park
    17. Death Of A Disco Dancer - The Smiths
    18. You Get What You Give - New Radicals
    19. On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry Orchestra

    How much Coldplay? Blunt? 2005 truly was a different time. I clearly didn't expect to come out alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey, you're lucky to get out alive with that lot. My last one was soundtracked by Radcliffe & Maconie's afternoon show on 6Music and was a genuinely pleasant (?) experience!

    ReplyDelete