Wednesday 21 June 2017

strange victory, strange defeat

So it's a relapse.

Yesterday we went to the hospital - weirdly enough, I didn't actually see either the MS Nurse I spoke to the previous day or Dr Gram's Travelling Psychedelic Strawberry Charabanc (OK, Relapse Clinic - boring).

We ended up talking with the head honcho of the MS team in Nottingham - super fancy! I didn't go into it hoping for a relapse - no one in their right mind would go in wishing for that. But neither did I want to be fobbed off with, "Go home and sleep it off". This is what I got last time and it led to a really prolonged period of illness.

Even though as I was describing the situation I had an internal monologue saying that I was underselling it, he agreed it was a relapse. Or at least as far as he could tell. And even if it wasn't, a course of steroids would help to get me back on [some kind of / any kind of] track.

For convenience sake I went for the oral steroids which, if memory serves, I described as sucking balls last time 'round. On that occasion the dose was five 100mg Methylprednisolone tablets over five days.

This time I chose (on the Professor's advice) to take ten 100mg tablets per day over three days - which delivers the same dosage as three days of IV steroids.
And various members of my family were bothered by the amount of tablets I was taking before.

Earlier today I took my Omeprazole tablet [to line my stomach] followed by my first dose of steroids. And let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. I was genuinely concerned that I wouldn't be able to keep them down! I knew that they were going to taste gross but this was off-the-scale EVIL.

The only bright spot is the fact that I won't be taking them for a long period of time. So, just three days of retching and shitty taste as opposed to five.

I know there are worse things in life. And I really need to strap a pair on [again].

But still…

SO

GROSS

No comments:

Post a Comment