Tuesday 22 December 2020

ms medications roulette

In which I apparently decide to change my medication AGAIN.

An actual fork in the road - from the first Muppet movie
An actual fork in the road - from the first Muppet movie

In the sparsely-populated series of positives from the COVID outbreak, one was my recent annual MS MOT. Ordinarily this involves me getting over to Nottingham to see my neurologist for an at-most 20 minute appointment. Even though it's only short it can wipe me out completely for the reds of the day.

The other week, I had the same appointment over the phone.  We talked about my recent MRI results, my general physical and mental state, and a number of topics that I would probably not have been comfortable mentioning face-to-face.

Obviously another thing I asked about was whether I would be able to take the COVID vaccines in the future. He said that being on Tysabri I should be fine, because it isn't an immunosuppressant. Tysabri is an immunomodulator, that works (here comes the science bit!) by creating a wall that stops white blood cells from getting past the blood-brain barrier and into the central nervous system.

So that was a bit of a relief.

However...

As I might've  mentioned before, I've always been a low-positive on the JC Virus test - this is the virus which can lead to PML. As I've been on Tysabri for over three years now, the risk of developing PML is increased. 

As such, my Neuro advised me to start looking at a change in medication. If there is an increase of my JC virus titres (basically the concentraion of the virus in my blood), this will change from "advice" to a "recommendation".

There are basically three options for me:

  • Gilenya (fingolimod) - a pil which you take once a day. In clinical trials this led to 50% fewer relapses
  • Mavenclad (cladribine) - a pill which is taken. in two treatment courses, twelve months apart, It also reduces the number of relapses by about 50%
  • Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) - an intravenous infusion every six months, it reduces the number of relapses by about 70% - so this is the only option which is as effective as Tysabri

So that's something.

But it turns out that all three of these options are immunosuppressants! Therefore they won't work with the COVID vaccine.

Even better was when I received my standard post-appointment letter from my Neuro in which he basically said that I had decided to change meds. As opposed to what I had thought was the conclusion of our chat - that I was just looking at my options.

What larks!

No comments:

Post a Comment