Friday 3 September 2021

help me make it through the night

Here's a thing. I've noticed that whenever I drink white wine in the evening I have to get up for a wee in the middle of the night. 

Now. I'm well aware this might not be exactly news to some of you. But hold up.

I'm still using intermittent self-catheterisation several times a day. And even if I have a good "drain" (sorry!) before bed, I still need to get up to go to the loo after drinking white wine.

However, if I drink red wine or beer, I can and do sleep through with no problem. And I'm not totally desperate for the bog when I wake up. 

Full disclosure: I've never been a big drinker. I fact, I didn't even start drinking properly until my second year at University, which was when I finally got the taste for it.

Incidentally, it always seemed silly to me that there are things that you have to "work hard" at in order to like them. Like smoking, drinking whiskey and listening to Wagner. I think that the reason I finally got to like drinking alcohol was because of all the fags and weed I was smoking. Who can say.

Anyway, I'm not saying that we've been drinking more than normal (although we have just moved house). But I do think I need to undertake more extensive research.

But has anyone else noticed that this is an issue for them or not, depending on what they've been drinking?

And, if there any brewologists out there, is there a scientific basis for what I've noticed? Or is it all in my head? 

And finally, if anyone is having issues with their bladder and the idea of self-catheterisation is horrific to them, please hear this. 

For me, it has been life-changing. Yes, it's undoubtedly a weird thing at first. But in my experience, after an initial period it simply becomes a question of logistics and preparation. And the benefits of uninterrupted sleep and the possibility of travel far outweigh the "ick." 

Here endeth the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment