Thursday 6 October 2022

was it something i said?

So last night I went to the pub with my brother. It's been a while since we\ve been able to meet up - and seeing as I am now fully vaxxed up (COVID and Flu), this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

He came over to where I live and because I was feeling a littlebit 'leggy', I decided that I would drive - we are responsible drivers, ok? Don't drink and drive.

Anyway - another reason that I drove was because my electric scooter (yes, there's a story to be told about that) lives in the back of our car. Not for any reason other than it would fill our house and the chances are, when I use it, I'll probably be in the car.

So we parked up nearby, assembled the scooter, and made our way into the pub (actually not the most accesible venue but we made it work). On arriving I saw an old friend from one of my previous freelance marketing jobs, sitting at a table with two people I ddn't know.

After saying hello, he held up his beer and said that he recommended that I try it. Now I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to beer - I like a nice, light IPA (Indian Pale Ale). What he was recommending looked black and decidedly "heavy." 

Without thinking, I said "I'd better not, I'm driving." 

And as soon as I said it, I regretted it.

The table exploded as if I'd delivered the punchline to end all punchlines.

Because I was driving! But not in a car! I was driving a mobility scooter! You get it? It's funny 'cos it's true!

One person at the table then said the classic line, "Have you got a license for that?!"

It was all I could do to stop myself telling them all to fuck right off.

Look. I know that I'm possibly a little sensitive about this. A mobility scooter is something that I've fought against for a long time. I've only been out on it locally a handful of times, so I'm building my confidence up slowly.

More to the point, I understand that people get a little awkward around mobility aids and the people using them. So if they get a chance to make a weak joke to 'lighten the mood' they're going to grab it - especially if it's gifted to them by the person using said mobility aid.

But people, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment