Monday 12 December 2022

2022 earworm advent calendar - days 2-12

Yeah, I know, I know. This is harder than it looks y'know...

Day 2

ABBA - "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (a man after midnight)"
 

Not my favourite track by the evil Swedish pop geniuses. However, it is the basis of a horribly weak joke that I made up and sent in to the Adam Buxton podcast for inclusion on the annual Adam and Joe Christmas Podcast 2022. Fingers crossed!


Day 3

Hideous mental mash-up of Weezer's "Beverly Hills" and "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus

This is particularly heinous because they're effectively the same song.

Weezer's first "Blue" album was the soundtrack to my final year at University. Played it every morning without fail. Little Ms. D has recently got into it, but I advised her not to go any further into their back catalogue.

A friend made her a playlist of what he considers to be their better post-blue moments. When Little Ms. D heard this she christened it "Disney Rock." 

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, does it?

"Teenage Dirtbag" is just pure dreck.


Day 4

Radio silence

 

Day 5

The first actual Christmas song of the season. This one by Smokey Robinson and friends has been getting played a lot in our house.

The Beastie Boys are always in heavy-rotation - the album this is from, "Check Your Head", is an all-time Top-10er. RIP MCA.

Look I'm not going to band on [too much] about how much I love Jonathan Richman. Again.

The album this is from - "Jonathan Sings" is a really odd song, as it features really professional and well-recorded musicianship. I got this primarily for "Not Yet Three, to soundtrack a mushy video compilation of Little Ms. D at a time when she was not yet three. 


Day 6

The Aislers Set - "Cold Christmas"

A re-entry, from the last time I did this, when it appeared on Day 18.

I still know nothing about this band but it's a belter and livens up any Christmas playlist.

 

Day 7

"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee into "O Paul" by Palace Brothers


 

Two Christmas Country poppets. Brenda Lee has obviously been played in our house but that first Palace Brothers is as unseasonal as they come. No idea where that came from but we LOVED that album when it first came out.

PS nobody mention the Mel (Smith) & Kim (Wilde) version of "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree", ok?


Day 8

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

No words required. Just immaculate.


Day 9

Richard Dawson - "The Hermit"

At 41 minutes long, ordinarily this song alone would count as the best album of the year.

Thankfully the rest of "The Ruby Cord" is also brilliant. 

My wife and daughter refuse to let me play it so here it is for you.


Day 10

Kendrick Lamar - "King Kunta"

From the best album of the 21st Century, "To Pimp A Butterfly". Not my favourite track so I've got no idea why the phrase that I heard upon waking up was "You goat-mouthed mammy f**ker".


Day 11

Deerhoof - "Witchery Glamour Spell"

I hadn't slept that well so - even though I love Deerhoof more than anything - this is further proof that my brain is an arsehole.


Day 12

Radio silence so here is what is officially my current favourite Christmas song.

Connie Francis – "I'm Gonna Be Warm This Winter" 


No comments:

Post a Comment